Thursday, June 26, 2008

Another inspiration

So I thought I would post about another artist who really inspires me. Mike Wieringo. Mike worked for Marvel on some big name comics but that is not how I first saw his artwork. It was random web surfing that first brought me to his website and I became an instant fan. He had such a clean, clear style, I just loved it. It wasn't until later that I discovered he was actually quite popular and was a bit of an industry icon. He quickly became one of my favorites, I would visit his website pretty often to see new artwork that he put up and read his blog posts. Then one day I went to his site only to find out that Mike had died a few days earlier. I couldn't believe it, I had to go check other comics news sites to see if this was true. He was a young guy, it was a freak heart attack if I remember right. It was kind of strange but it hit me really hard. I mean here was this person that I had never met, never had any contact with besides reading their blog posts and I was really really upset. I still can't make sense of my emotional attachment to this person I had never met, but his artwork still inspires me, if one day I could be half as good as Mike I would only be too happy.

No comments: