Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Star Trek

So the other night I left my window open and it was real cold, kept waking me up, but it was too cold to get out from under the covers to close it. The side effect of this is that I remembered a lot of dreams the next day. I was going to blog about it but now it has been too long and they have all faded so I won't bother telling you about it, it would be boring. Your bored already aren't you? Alright, alright, moving on.

My favorite episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation was on Monday. It's an episode called 'The Inner Light'. For me this was the pinnacle of the series. In the episode the Enterpise crew encounters an alien probe. The probe hit's Captain Picard with some data beam and and he falls unconcious. He wakes up on an alien world, he doesn't know where he is but everyone there recognizes him. They believe he is suffering a bit of mental illness as he tries to convince them he is Captain Picard and not the man they think he is. Eventually he accepts life on this new world and believes that he is the man these people thinks he is. He lives an entire lifetime on this planet, becomes ingrained in their culture, has a family, lives life as one of them. Eventually we see him as an old man, his family comes to take him to the launching of a rocket. He realizes that the rocket they are launching is the probe he encounterd in his other life, his family and friend surround him, both living and dead. They implore him to remember them, remember his life, remember their culture so that they can live on even though their world and culture has been dead for thousands of years. Picard wakes up and finds that only 25 minutes have passed on the Enterprise even though he lived a lifetime in his mind. The probe deactivates, never to give that experience to anyone else. Inside they find the flute that Picards alternate identity learned to play and love. The final shot is Picard looking into space playing the tune he learned on the flute in his other life. I can't really put my finger on why I like this episode so much but I get misty eyed at the end everytime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aside from Darmark, Inner Light is also my favorite episode. The episode actually had some emotion to it and that is probably why it is a favorite of many. I also get misty eyed at the end.

Chrissy and Brian said...

Ben, I've actually seen that episode and enjoyed it very much
Big B